Students in grades 5-8 (Poplar Grove Middle, Freedom Intermediate and Freedom Middle) adhere to a common dress code across schools.
FSSD Middle Grades Dress Code
To maintain a safe learning environment that minimizes distraction, the minimum standards for acceptable clothing during the school day are as follows:
- Tops of shoulders must have a minimum of a 3-inch strap unless otherwise covered by an opaque top garment.
- Skin and undergarments must be covered with opaque clothing from the underarm to the mid-thigh even while seated. Mid-thigh is defined as the midpoint between the waist and mid-knee.
- All pants, trousers, shorts and skirts must be held at the waist.
- Leggings and other compression-style garments may be worn so long as another opaque garment provides coverage to the mid-thigh.
- Hats or hoods may not be worn in the building.
- Pajamas are not permitted.
- Costumes or dress-up days are only allowed with prior administration approval.
- Appropriate shoes are required - no slippers or house shoes are allowed.
- Any type of clothing, apparel, or accessory, including that which denotes membership in or affiliation with any gang associated with criminal activities, is not permitted.
- Any apparel or dress that is potentially disruptive to the learning environment or educational process is not permitted.
- Any apparel or dress that is dangerous to the health or safety of students or the lawful, peaceful operation of the school is not permitted.
- Any apparel or dress that advertises or promotes products or activity prohibited by law is prohibited (e.g., profanity, illustrations, or suggestive language, etc.)
- Student uniforms related to extracurricular activities (band, cheerleading, dance, sports team, etc.) must meet daily dress code expectations during the academic day.
Administrators shall be the final decision-makers as to compliance with the dress code.