Summer Learning Camp
The FSSD is offering a Summer Learning Camp (grades 1 – 4) and a Learning Loss Bridge Camp (grades 5 – 8) from May 31-June 23, 2022. Both camps will be free and housed at Poplar Grove School, 2959 Del Rio Pike. These camps are thanks to the Tennessee Learning Loss Remediation and Student Acceleration Act, which legislated the creation of summer learning camps to provide additional summer learning opportunities that are essential to accelerate students’ educational growth and ensure that all children have the opportunity to reach their goals and dreams.
Camp details include:
- Camp hours are 8:30a.m.-3:30p.m.
- There will be seven hours of daily programming in both camps.
- Daily programming includes four hours of reading and math instruction (with at least one hour of this block dedicated to math and at least one hour for reading), one hour of intervention, one hour of STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art and Math) activities, and one hour of physical activity or “play.” Instruction will be provided in a casual and fun format by a licensed and endorsed teacher.
- Middle school students assigned to "summer school" will attend the Learning Loss Bridge Camp.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- FSSD will provide bus transportation for students.
- If a student attends a summer learning camp, he/she will be transported to and from the Summer MAC site at Johnson Elementary (MAC fees will apply).
In accordance with Tennessee Learning Loss Remediation and Student Acceleration Act, Summer Learning Camp opened first to priority students.