Please read the boxes below to determine how to proceed with your student’s enrollment or registration process.
- Age: Tennessee law requires that a child must be 5 years of age on or before August 15 to enter kindergarten.
- Birth Certificate: A birth certificate is required of all children entering school for the first time to verify name and age.
- Immunization Record: Tennessee requires proof of immunization for school attendance. A Tennessee Department of Health “Certificate of Immunization” is required before the student’s first day of class. This certificate is available from the local Health Department or the child’s physician. Students who are exempt from immunizations are still required to have this certificate signed by a physician and have proof of a physical exam.
- Required Immunizations In order to provide the safest environment possible in the schools, the State of Tennessee requires proof of immunizations. For specific information, please visit the State’s Required Immunizations web site.
- Medical Examination: Tennessee law requires proof of physical examination for all students initially entering Tennessee schools. This includes students entering pre-K, kindergarten and students transferring from another state. This certificate is available from the local Health Department or the child’s physician.
Proof of Residency: Each year, parents are required to show two forms for proof of residency in the FSSD, such as a current utility bill, cable bill or lease agreement with your name and current address on the document. If you reside with another family, the person with whom you reside must fill out a Residency Affidavit (English/Spanish) notarized by a Notary Public. Along with the affidavit, that person must also present two documents as proof of residency under his/her name and a photo I.D. The parent/guardian of the enrolling student must also provide one mailed document with his/her name and the address listed on the Residency Affidavit (does not have to be a utility bill).
Examples of acceptable proofs of residency:
- Utility bills (gas, electric, water) for last month prior to enrolling
- Copy of signed Lease Agreement (including renewed Lease Agreements), signed valid non-contingent real estate contract, or signed executed Settlement Statement with supporting documentation
Parents are urged to register their children online during the spring pre-registration period (April 1-30) even if they do not have all of their required forms or certificates. Missing forms may be turned in to the school up until the first day of school.
Special Notice: The Tennessee Legislature has declared it a compensable offense to intentionally misrepresent the address for the domicile of a student for enrollment purposes. The FSSD will file appropriate legal action in all cases where it is determined that parents or guardians have fraudulently represented their address for purposes of student enrollment in the Franklin Special School District. Further, the FSSD will seek restitution for tuition and legal expenses in such cases.